Yuba Kombi brake conversion from mechanical to hydraulics

Hi, any recommendations to convert a Yuba Kombi (not electrical) from mechanical disc brakes to hydraulics?

brand/line?

Since it is a longtail do I have to buy special kits with special rear length ?
Is it as simple as buying a hydraulics kit for the correct disc diameter and just install it or will I run into some unmanageable difficulties?

Can you describe what calipers and rotors you are currently using? I’m not aware what is the stock setup on the Kombi. But it should work as you suggested.

Hi Toni, i'm using a Kombi as well and have sometimes thought about the conversion, too.
It's not one of my top priorities, therefore i'm still using the provided mechanical brakes.
I see no issues in converting, just as you say, get a conversion kit and off you go!
For the front wheel, the standard length of the hydraulic tube will be sufficient, for the rear, I'm not sure if a slightly longer tube is needed.

There is tons of brake discussions in this forum, an often heard recommendation is for the Shimano BR-520 (? right number? Shimano fanboys correct me pls) groupless 4-piston brakes with ceramic cylinders.

Let us know how your conversion turns out!

Yes. I would recommend the 4-Pistons Brakes by Shimano, too.
Whats the diameter of the rotors on the yuba?
I use some Shimano BR-M6120, which have a good pricing (I even got them 2nd hand) and work out very well.

But you will need new levers on the handle too. Perhaps you can get a full conversation kit.
Or you look on the 2nd hand market. For Shimano it is, as far as I know, very easily to combine different groupset-parts.

Can you describe what calipers and rotors you are currently using? I’m not aware what is the stock setup on the Kombi. But it should work as you suggested.
1671352480989.png

But you will need new levers on the handle too. Perhaps you can get a full conversation kit.
Or you look on the 2nd hand market. For Shimano it is, as far as I know, very easily to combine different groupset-parts.
yes I consider to buy a full kit (except for the discs)
When buying such a kit with the correct/needed length, is it silly to think they come pre filled with braking oil?
Or will I need to buy a filling/bleeding kit as well ?

Zurück
Oben Unten